Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Enjoying Beijing.

A month after the Guangzhou-HK trip, I was back in the air.  

It was Beijing this time...  farther than HK so imagine my struggle in the plane.  I was determined to overcome my fear because I have never been to the China's capital city before.  So I resorted to my usual formula before any air travel... fervent prayers several days before the flight.

Beijing was huge.  Perhaps, one of the more huge cities I have visited.

Let's start with the airport.  The design is your usual modern airport except that it was massive.



The city is actually a large flat land mass so it makes sense to make everything big.

Streets are wide.


Buildings are grand.  Check out the one below housing one of the largest TV networks in China.


Malls are big.


The one near our hotel actually has this enormous gazebo, the ceiling of which serves as a big, big TV.


Of course, I would not just talk about the city's size.  It is common knowledge that Chinese history is rich.  And since I am a self-confessed History nerd, I was super game for any temple watching.

From the hotel, my forever business trip companion Eric and I took the subway to Tiananmen Square.  We got off at the east side and visited the famous Forbidden City gate.



Our attempt to go in was fruitless because the guards were actually leading people out... for a reason that both Eric and I could not figure (blame it on language barrier).  While consoling myself to my plans of going back with the whole family, we saw another gate with less people coming in.  We went in and paid RMB10.  To our dismay, it was just a huge garden.
The most exciting view was this.


But a little more walk brought us to this wonder.



Lucky us.  All for Php65.





The area was built in the 1400s.  The Chinese ancestors walked these very steps and worshipped in this Front Hall.  It was preserved very well.  Wait til you see what's inside.




Eric was delighted.


It was, then, off to a short tour of the Tiananmen Square before calling it a day.



The tour of Beijing was super short but I enjoyed it alot.  I would love to explore more and see the history.  Next time for sure... with the little boy and hubby.


No comments:

Post a Comment