Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Fantastic Magkaribal.

I grew up with soap operas as a staple so I am well aware of the evolution of these drama shows, at least in the Philippines. The formula is so easy to follow so what I do is just watch the first few episodes, get snippets in the middle and I do not miss the last part... that is if I like whoever is in the series.

Here is a list of soap operas that I followed -- not watched -- religiously (order is based on like):

1) Pangako Sa 'Yo which was an epic.
2) Marimar, the Thalia (read: original) version
3) Maria La Del Barrio, Thalia starrer again
4) Rosalinda, Thalia starrer still
5) Metor Garden (Series 1), which I so love
6) Pangarap na Bituin because of Sarah G.
7)
Mula sa Puso. Thanks to the late Rico Yan.

And now, may I add Magkaribal to the list?


It is, for me, what a soap opera of the modern times should be all about. Put it on the top of my list, please.

Honestly, I do not like Bea. I think she is an actress so unnatural that during crying scenes, she seems to be trying her best not to yawn (yawning is actually the best way to make yourself shed those artista tears, try it). I do not like Gretchen and her persona but yes, she still has it (acting). I do not like Erich and her supposedly conyo accent nor I get kilig in the Erich-Enchong tandem.

BUT the story is so wonderfully written that I was able to go past my dislikes and concentrate on the story and how it was presented.

I shed a tear when Victoria lost her baby, shed a tear again when Victoria found out that Gelai was her sister, and shed a tear again when the sisters saw each other. Gretchen was very good in her crying scenes and was superb in her confrontational scenes especially the last row about the finale dress.

I love Vera's character. She is so mean but she is so in love with her husband. Other famous soap villains were merely evil and whatever hurt that caused their vengeful acts got lost in the story because they were portrayed as just evil. Vera was different because one can clearly see how she was heartbroken by the demise of Manuel.

Manuel was a class act while Papa Ronaldo Valera was the best portrayed old rich fag in town. Love, love, love to pieces!

I do hope that they would not come up with a series 2 for Magkaribal because they have to leave this epic at that... great and unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment