Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Repost: Getting Old and Realizing It

(Because we just welcomed 2011, I am reposting an entry I made in my former blog now that we are all set to add another "1" to our ages.)

December 23, 2006

2006 is about to end so I will be another year older in a few weeks time.

I used to think that a person’s 21st year on earth is the earliest old age. You’re officially away from the teens and officially in the running for the decade counts.

When I turned 21, I did not feel old. I was in fact feeling the same way I did when I was 19 — only that I needed to start working to fend for my wants in life. For the next 5 years, I thought that I was never too old for anything.

The happenings of the past week, however, brought me to an awakening… I am starting to age a bit. (And no, I don’t take it negatively… just something that is bound to dawn on me soon because I am a little bit retarded in terms of maturity.)

** I volunteered myself to dance for our team/floor in the Christmas Party group dance competition. Oh, I was sure that I have two left feet but I was so confident about it due to the fact that I have participated on several cheerdancing competitions during my school days. It should not be that difficult…
    The dance was Loose My Breath by Destiny’s Child and it was difficult. Aside from the fact that I had my wisdom tooth pulled out right in the middle of the practices, I just could not follow. The tempo was so fast, I had to move a lot, my body was too heavy — there was too much complication.
    In the meantime, my younger officemates were strutting their stuff easily, with little instruction and without too much effort.
    I should just stick to my dancefloor grindings and ballroom dancing next year…

** Our Christmas party was indeed a blast. I had my fifteen minutes of fame due to several Pepe Lopez tequila shots — about 5 to 7. I usually have a habit of pushing people to the spotlight when I am a little tipsy. This time around, I was a bit more drunk so I was easily whisked toward the stage. After some “pokpok” (slutty) dancing moves in front of everyone, I declared to myself that it was my most “bangenge” (intoxicated) night after several years.
    During my heydays, I did not usually get drunk easily. While I thought to myself that I still would have done some “pokpok” moves that night, I would have easily given up the fight, leave the title to somebody else and not end up as one of the top two “pokpoks” in the house.
    Gone also are the days wherein after 3 days I would have physically recovered from extreme partying and return to my old up and about self in school. Recovery period for this Christmas party took more than a week. I was sleeping on my office desk at lunchtime up until Friday.

** I realized just awhile ago that my youngest sister is in her 3rd year in college. Before this afternoon, I was in this dream sequence that she is still in her 2nd year (actually sometimes, I exaggerate and think that she hasn’t finished high school yet). My brother should, thus, be in his 4th year. Both already have significant others and do go out to gimmicks. The youngest is even having too much of them.

My metabolism is getting slower and slower. I am moving slower. I can’t remember the last time my parents shouted at me. I am starting to not get the drift of my two youngest siblings. There are songs, TV shows and games that my younger officemates do not remember.

I am getting old.

And I am not even halfway done…

No comments:

Post a Comment