Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Adventures in Guangzhou.

All my out of country trips are memorable.  Even if I have been in a place several times, there always is a special moment for each of them.


I have never been to Guangzhou before but right at the start of the trip, it has become memorable.  As I said, it took me forever to get there.  And since my trip was a Sunday, I experienced first hand how China is top gun in the world's population.


I was not really alone.  I did my trek to Guangzhou alone but thank God I was with an officemate.  This is Eric.  He did tons of projects for P&G before and for that, was a seasoned Guangzhou traveler.  He took the less adventurous route and got there by plane.  It was a good 2.5 hr plane ride from Manila.

We practically just had 2 full days in the city so we did not have the time really explore.  But since Eric was already a regular, I trusted his instincts.  He picked Beijing Road as the place to go to.


He made the right choice.  Uniqlo was on sale.

And so was Giordano.  A lot more stores were on sale.

This trip had very, very good timing.  Ended up with 2 bags of pasalubong.


The place also had a bit of historical displays.  They have portions where you are able to see the very old (ancient, I presume) streets on which Beijing Road stands.  These I love.


We left Guangzhou and proceeded to Hongkong via the train.  Given that it was a Tuesday, it was less crowded... I got the chance to see how nice their train terminal is.  It looks like SM.  How I wish we have something like this.  


I liked my short stay in Guangzhou.  The climate -- no problem... same as Manila, hot and humid.  The language -- no problem, one will survive as long as you stay in a well-known hotel, have a bit cash and have a credit card that works.  The people -- the colleagues whom we deal with are super nice and professional.  The city -- I have only seen it once but I felt like it has gone a very, very long way.


Given the chance, I will go back to Guangzhou.




No comments:

Post a Comment