Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Old Flame.

It has been a while since I last stayed up late for a tennis championship match.  Last Sunday, I did -- it was the Roland Garros - French Open finals.

From Iphone loads

It was a much-awaited match... between the most sought after tennis rivalry of today.

Roger Federrer

From Iphone loads

versus


Rafael Nadal

From Iphone loads
I rooted for Fed not because I do not like Rafa.  For me, they are both tennis talents.  I just thought that I would go for the underdog this time... Fed being third seeded (Rafa was first).

And since clay courts are Rafa's territory, he did win the championship.

From Digicam Shots
I was not heartbroken.

Several years ago, it was different.

I was a tennis addict (I sucked at playing it though).  And I was a loyal fan.

Tennis will never be the same without these two greatest rivalries.

Monica Seles vs. Steffi Graf

From Digicam Shots
From Digicam Shots

Pete Sampras vs. Andre Agassi

From Digicam Shots
From Digicam Shots

I was a Seles fan and a Sampras fan.    

In my younger years, not a lot cared about tennis.  But even if I had no one to share and discuss the game highlights with, I still spent several nights trying to be awake just to watch their Championship matches with their arch rivals.  Probably because I loved the sport and found a lot of sense in it.

And just when cable tv became affordable and sports channels famous, I grew tired of tennis.  Or perhaps, I just got old... and my idols got old.

I did enjoy last Sunday's match though.  I was suprised that I still remembered the rules. I must admit some of them have become hazy in my memory already.  But I think I have rekindled an old flame.  I am looking forward to the Wimbledon championship match... even if it will not be between Federrer and Nadal.


No comments:

Post a Comment